Thursday, June 25, 2009

24 weeks & a hospital visit

First 24 weeks...YAY! First goal reached, and now we move onto our next goal of 28 weeks.

I wasn't feeling well yesterday I had back pain that wouldn't go away so I went to bed around 10, but didn't fall asleep until around 12. I woke up at 0100 with worse back pain so after waiting to see if changing positions I called the doctor to see if I should go in and be checked or just wait for my appointment at 11. She wanted me to go in and see how my cervix was doing. Andy came to pick me up and take me in to be checked. Finding the parking garage was not very fun in the middle of the night! We made our way to L&D where my cervix was checked to make sure it was long and closed. They wanted to make sure it hasn't shortened since my last appointment. After two ultrasounds to check the length, and a hand check they said my cervix was long and closed. I was strapped down with monitors to make sure the babies were doing well, and then I was checked for contractions. They also did a swab to check to see if a hormone had been released. They said if the test comes back negative then we have a 90% chance of not going into labor within the next two weeks. We were very happy when the test came back negative.

We left around 0600 to make our way home, and tried to get some sleep before my 1100 appointment. Once we got to the appointment my doctor checked my cervix again and said it was still closed and long. I did the glucose test, and it tasted like flat orange soda. I didn't mind it at all, but I haven't gotten my results back yet. I had the growth ultrasound during my wait to have my blood drawn. The babies were all facing away so we didn't get any pictures. :-( They did give me the weights. Right now A, B, & C weigh in at 1 lb 6 oz, and baby D weighs 1 lb 5 oz.
It was a fast ultrasound, and not long because they originally thought I needed to do the hearts, but they got all those at my 20 week appointment. So it was just a growth check. :) The ultrasound tech did them all really fast and got me out of there in time for my blood to be drawn. We were so happy to be able to get home, and go back to sleep. Poor Andy was so tired by the time he was able to get into bed. I'm just going to let him sleep until he wakes up.

I've made a friend online with someone that is 25 weeks pregnant with quads! It has been really great to connect with her and compare how everything is going. It is great to have someone to vent to and listen to when they need to vent. She is on hospital bed rest, and I hope you all will keep her and her babies in your thoughts and prayers.

I have talked to a few moms that have quads, and what a great group of ladies! It is so nice to connect with people that have been here and done this. They're all very supportive, and I love hearing from them & talking with them even if it is just to say hi or read their blogs.

7 comments:

  1. Glad to hear all is still going well for you and yours...God bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, you've been in my thoughts from time to time since we once spoke you were TTC. I sighed a great big sigh of relief when I saw you make this milestone. You and the babies are still in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on reaching this huge milestone. So glad the U/S and Dr. visits went well. You all are in our thoughts and prayers daily. Love--Martz and Ken

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have really enjoyed out discussions (e-mails) also. It is very nice to hear from all the experienced quad mammas out there, but it is something else to get to share in the experience with someone at the same time. I am so glad we connected.
    Congradulations on making it to 24 weeks! YAH! Hope your back gets to feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on getting to 24! That is a great milestone.. Keep doing what you are doing:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow congratulations! 4? You are my hero (here I am thinking that my one little baby is hard work!) Do you know the sex of the babies yet? Have you thought about names for them yet? (http://www.bounty.com/babynames/ is a great place to search) Good luck with the pregnancy hun xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found your blog off of the Multiples and More Blog. I lived in Charleston for 6 years and really miss it. I have 9 month old twins. I wish you the best!

    Wilma

    ReplyDelete