Saturday, August 22, 2009

Delivery at 31 weeks 3 days

It started off as your normal day waking up for meds and vitals, and then again for breakfast. I got something for a headache the night before that didn't work. When I woke up my head was still hurting so I requested more pain meds to help get rid of it. I stayed in bed with the lights and tv off for most of the day only checking my emails a few times a day. SO when I requested more pain medication the nurse asked if I had any relief from the previous dose, and when I said no she said you haven't had ANY relief? I said no I hadn't. She walked out and when she came back she said you're not allowed to have anything else to eat or drink. She removed my ice and my glass of water, and then said she needed me to give a sample of urine so she could test it. I was thinking ALL I WANT IS SOMETHING TO GET RID OF THE HEADACHE! I knew that wasn't going to happen. Due to my urine test coming back with protein in it, the headache that wouldn't go away, an elevated blood pressure, and that the babies weights had dropped off the resident from L&D came to see me. He said he wouldn't put off delivery since all of these things were coming together. SO I requested they call Dr. Platz to notify her so she would be there for delivery. I then called Andy about 5 times before he finally answered. I told him he should get things done around the house that he could and come up because they were thinking of doing the delivery! He said "Nu uh." and I said something along the lines of I wasn't joking and he needed to come to the hospital as soon as he could.

I sent text messages to everyone in my family, and called my grandma and his mom. I told his mom if she wanted to be there for the delivery she needed to leave her house at that moment. More people came to ask me when I last ate, and I also mentioned my last shot of heparin. I was transferred to L&D where I continued to ask every person I came in contact with if Dr. Platz had been called. Finally someone said she has and she is here! YAY!

We were going to start the delivery process around 800-830, but we were bumped by someone that needed an emergency c-section. Once they finished with her and finished working on her baby I was wheeled in where they tried 2 or 3 times to get my epidural in the right spot. I would like to note that I didn't enjoy that process at all. When he finally got my epidural in the next thing I remember was Andy coming to sit next to me.

They started cutting and there was a splatter of fluid at one point on the blue sheet blocking our view. Behind us someone said don't worry about that it's just amniotic fluid, and Andy and I both thought the person was a liar, but appreciated his attempt. :)

I heard Baby A's cry, and then Baby B's, Baby D came out before Baby C because she was head down, but I don't remember much of any of it after hearing Baby B's cry. Andy stayed there with me, and I was out of it at some parts because the next thing I remember is them bringing Baby A over to see me before taking him to the NNICU. I don't remember a lot of it, but I do remember being taken from the delivery room to my L&D room where I saw Andy's parents and baby B.

Our friends Carlene and Laura came up on their days off to be with us during delivery. That was awesome of them because they kept us from freaking out before delivery. :) Thanks you two!

I had some trouble with bleeding during the delivery so they gave me medicine to help. I won't go into details about that, but it was a lot of no fun. I didn't get much sleep at all because I was starving. I slept for a little bit, but woke up each time the nurse would come in to check my bleeding. Also not pleasant is when the doctor came in to check my uterus. I went between awake and asleep not feeling well at all for most of the night/morning.

I was let out of L&D back to my old room. I loved that because I should have gone over to a different hallway, but it was full so I got to go back "home" where I knew everyone. I was cranky and tired and not feeling very well, but they all took my cranky mood well. :) They just smiled and let me sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment