Sunday, August 23, 2009

NNICU & Going Home

I wasn't able to go to the NNICU right away because I was put on a medicine that didn't allow me to be out of bed. So I didn't get to see the babies until late the next day, and then I got to see them twice because Carlene wheeled me to and from the NNICU! :)

The nurses are all very nice at the NNICU, but I really didn't expect anything else. I was able to hold Carolyn one night and it was so very nice. So nice in fact that the morphine and the rocking helped me fall asleep holding her. Don't be alarmed though I didn't drop her :)

So far I've held Aiden, Carolyn & Alexis. I wanted to hold Max tonight, but decided to wait until tomorrow because I was able to feed Carolyn & Alexis their first bottles! Another thing I did was change Aiden's diaper yesterday!

I was so excited to go home & then when they finally set me free on Friday I freaked out about a mile down the road. I cried most of the way home because it was at that point that I realized I left my babies there. I knew they were being cared for better than what I could do, but the idea of going home without them really got to me. I did better the next day until I found out Aiden has a hole in his heart that needed to be treated with medication to see if that would close it. I tried to keep it together but after about 10 minutes I started crying. It wasn't easy to hear, but what made it worse is that he looked so uncomfortable yesterday. I felt so bad for the little guy. He looked so much better today when we went in though! We're praying the medicine is working & that he won't need any surgery.

Updates on everyone


Aiden--was removed from his CPAP, and is now using a nasal cannula. He got 2 of the 3 doses of medicine to help close the hole in his heart. He urine output dropped off so they held off on his 3rd dose. They want him to start peeing more before they give him another dose. The nurse also said he may not need another dose the 2 may have done the trick. Right now though it is a wait and see time with Aiden. He looked a lot better tonight than he did last night though!



Max-- was sleeping with his bed open when we left to see if he can keep his body temp. in the open air. He is still on the nasal cannual. He is off his IV, and is eating really well. I believe he is eating the max amount at each feeding.


Alexis-- continues to do well. She got her first bottle tonight, and drank about half of it. I call her grandpa phillips because she looks like an old man. :-) She is also off the IV as of today.


Carolyn-- like her sister she is doing well. She is off her IV, and drank over half of her bottle tonight. Her hair seems to be getting lighter every day.

2 comments:

  1. They are so perfect. Thanks for sharing about Aiden's heart issue. I will pray the medicine does what it is supposed to and he has no more problems and his little heart heals completely.

    I totally understand your crying at leaving them behind when you went home. All those emotions and hormones can leave a new mom feeling all twisted up.

    Keep up the great work. You and Andy are doing great.

    Nora

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rock!!!
    Your in my prayers...

    ReplyDelete