Saturday, May 16, 2009

1,500 Calories

I am from the South where good food is always right around the corner. I love to eat. I love good food. I don't care much for looking like a cow, but I do enjoy eating. My favorite foods growing up? Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, corn on the cob, corn bread, fried okra, squash, fried eggplant, and the list goes on. Since I've grown up I have learned to appreciate collard greens when made correctly. Not out of the can. Fresh and seasoned with pulled pork...not bacon. These are all what I consider comfort foods. Reminds me when I was little and I could eat whatever I wanted whenever I wanted. To be a child again...what brings this on? My appointment today with the dietitian.

As it turns out I can eat whatever I want* whenever I want. I in fact need to be eating around 1500 calories a meal. This is the diet for someone expecting triplets, and let us not forget that I am carrying quads not triplets. She said she wanted to start me off with what someone expecting triplets would need. Here is how it breaks down...

Servings per DAY

Dairy = 10

Veggies = 5

Fruits = 8

Grains, breads = 12

Fats, oils, and nuts = 12

Eggs = 2

Meat, fish, poultry = 3 or 9oz total.

Now I'm from Texas so all I could think is "Good Lord! By the time this is over Andy will need a harness to walk me around the arena and sell me to the highest bidder." Yes this is my first thought. I.AM.GOING.TO.BE.HUGE. Then my good brain starts again, and I realize I can do this or I can ignore it. If I do it I'll be huge & I will have done everything I can to make 4 healthy babies. OR I can be vain and disregard what they say and hope for the best. I'm not saying I'm pessimistic, but when I hope for the best it is usually good that I expected the worst. This really isn't about me though is it? Right now this isn't really my body...it now belongs to four little zombie monsters. Once they're born I'll be running again (very slowly as to not cause an earthquake of course), and eating like a normal human being. Then my body will once again be about me. Until then...here's to eating what I want* when I want. Cheers!

*Side note I cannot have a strong drink or sushi. I don't drink often, but I really wanted that drink when I found out there were four instead of one, and sushi...well it's one of my favorite things to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment